Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hungry Ghost Month

It is now 7th moon in the lunar calendar and in general is regarded as the Ghost Month, in which ghosts, including those of the deceased ancestors, and spirits come out from the lower realm: the gates of hell are opened to free the hungry ghosts who then wander to seek food on Earth.

Coincidentally, it was also my father death anniversary. As usual, my mother will gather everyone to come home and pay respect to my dad.
During the Ghost Festival, the elder ancestors and older generations are worshipped.
Rituals are preformed to transmute and absolve the sufferings of the deceased, offerings reaching the ghosts should comfort the ghost’s life.

My mum prepared ritualistic food offerings, giving a feast to my dad.

All of us have to burn incense to show our respect. Joss paper, spirit money and paper-objects of material items my father will also recieved (maybe)

The burning of the joss paper and papier-mâché objects allows for the object to be transferred to the ancestors and ghosts, materialising in the afterlife.




Image:From left, my elder brother kelvin, nephew Nicolas and Ace burning joss paper.


True or not, i am not too sure, but it's out culture we have to follow.

No comments: