Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Egoistic Or Just Highly Sensitive.


Recently I've been reflecting on my own personality if i am a egoistic man or if there's something else i need to address.

The reason i wanted to find out if i am a egoistic person is because friends and family who love me have always told me that it's very difficult to give comments, esp negative comments on me. Well, i checked on the dictionary and it translate ego as someone who acts and thinks that he is "extremely superior". I sat down for a while, calmly recall all the incidents, quarrel and my behaviour i had in the past. Honestly, as a man, when i see myself doing and helping out on house chord i don't feel i am superior(but i am happy). I wear simple and drive a broken van i don't feel superior either, (but i am also happy). I don't think i am self-centered or selfish when there are many occasion i allow and permit my wife to go ahead with her decision even though i had a different point of view from hers. ( that's because i love her give her respect) . So, from all these sacrification and contribution, my conclusion is, i am not as egoistic as anyone might think. But if it's not of my great ego, why is it that i am so easily agitated when receiving comments?

Well, I remember reading this book call "HIGHLY SENSITIVE PERSON" or HSP.

Highly sensitivity is not a flaw but a gift from God, but without knowing how to handle your sensitivity correctly, it may lead to many unpleasant experiences and will cause you your job, friends and even your spouse. To know if i was a HSP, I'd to take the test below.....


.Do you get overwhelmed by stimuli such as lights, noises, and smells?
.Do other people’s moods and emotions deeply affect you?
.Are you easily startled?
.Are you aware of other things in your environment that most other people are not aware of?
.Do you enjoy delicate tastes, scents, sounds, soft fabrics, or beautiful works of art?
.Have you always been labeled as shy or sensitive by other people?
.Are you sensitive to certain foods such as foods containing caffeine, sugar or alcohol?
.Do you become unpleasant when you are hungry?
.Are you attracted to the deeper things such as spirituality, self-development and philosophy?
.Are your feelings easily bruised?
.Do you have a vivid imagination?
**

The answer i got are mostly "YES", drinking coffee makes me so awake. Light and sound disturb my sleeps much too easy and considered i do not even have a proper professional training but have a good sense of music and act. I guess most likely i am a HSP than a egoistic man. Being a HSP means you can see, feel and listen more deeply than non HSP. It has it advantages and disadvantages which can be taxing at times.
One of the downward side of being HSP is "you can't handle comments well" esp negative comments. You will tend to take things very personally whenever someone ask you a negative question which might not necessary direct to you. For example, if my daughter is not feeling well after i took care of her for a day and my wife came back asking me what happen. Instead of confidently and unguiltily explaining to her the actual reason, i have the urgency to feel she's blaming me, that's how sensitive i am.

It has been estimated that 15-20% of the population or 50 million people are highly sensitive. Among this population, there is a scale of sensitivity levels since some people are slightly sensitive while others are extremely sensitive.

Highly sensitive people have been around forever, but they have been mislabeled as shy, timid, inhibited, or introverted. However, Highly sensitive people tend to be extraordinarily creative and productive workers. In relationships, if the other party know how to strike a balance and not do or say words too sensitive, they are usually attentive and thoughtful partners with acute listening skills and compassionate hearts. Most are also intellectually gifted individuals. HSPs could contribute much more to society or relationship if they received the right kind of attention.

So, my final conclusion is that, since i considered myself as a HSP instead of being a unreasonable, irrogant, egoistic macho man. I ask that those who love me, my friends and family, please read and understand more about HSP and help me overcome and make good use of this remarkable ability. Just talk to me tactfully and care for my sensitivity and i believe, i strongly believe i will not be as timid as i had been in the past. In fact, i am prefer to be a loving husband, a caring father and a sincere friend for many and it's because of my sensitivity that i am able to read, write and take many nice picture for this blog even without education or training.

If you're willing to help me, talk to me tactfully and reduce the impact I'll have from my nervous system, i am willing to improve and not use my sensitivity as a excuse to get the way i want. Love all of you and may peace be with us forever....

1 comment:

anglo1paul said...

My dear..Everytime you help out in the house, I can truly feel it's because u wan to make me happy. I feel lucky cos I do not have a husband who has high expectations on me but accept me for who I am yet is willing to let go some parts of him for a loving family.
Your creativity as a HSP is a blessing to our family which Gracia and I truly enjoy.. Make good use of ur talent! Jia you!!