Monday, August 25, 2008

Respecting your wife?

Well, this is esp in respond to Pottyhubby for his request of whether i should write a 2nd chapter about husband respecting the wife. I would say absolutely. But instead of using the word 'respect', i prefer to rephrase it to 'loving and serving your wife.
Allow me to illustrate :Animations - eyes 003

If anyone had read carefully and noticed my last paragraph in my last entry, i'd stated and urged that a husband should remember the book from Ephesians 5:25 that he should love his wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it. Why did the bible used the word 'love' instead of 'respecting' your wife?

In chapter 5:22 the apostle Paul told wives to summit to their husband, the fact that this teaching in our modern days is not popular is understood. According to the bible, the man is the spiritual head of the family, and his wife should acknowledge his leadership. Not the other way round. But real spiritual leadership involves service.

Like a good honest government, although have their power and authority, are responsible for the welfare and needs for his fellowmen and to serve them the best they can, hence the word 'civil servant'. Just as Christ served the disciples, even to the point of washing their feet, so the husband is to serve his wife. As for me, despite wanting respect from my wife as the head of the house, I will humbly massage her, made desert and served her and will also share the house chord.

Let me emphasise that, although the wives is to summit to the husbands and the husbands love and serve his wives, to a certain extend, the husband can sometime respect the wife too. But this respect is of a different kind, instead of respecting my wife like a head of the house or equivalent, i respect her in other form. like when i knew that she multi-tasted coking for me and looking after Gracia at the same time, I respect her. like when i know that she never gave up breast feeding to my daughter even though having a hard time on latching her in the beginning, I respect her. So the respect for her and the respect she should have for me is different.

My final conclusion is that :
A loving husband should never take advantage of his role in the house and abuse his authority, and the wives should respect the husbands and will not undermine his leadership. Either approach causes disunity and friction in marriage.

Anyway, Pottyhubby is a good and loving husband, I always take him as an example, he's a role model husband to me. Thank for reminding me to stress and emphasize on loving and respect the wife too, else someone who read my last entry and don't know me will think i am a 大男入.Animations - smiley-17

No comments: