Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Happy 1 year old Birthday Son

Dear son, its been a week since your 1st birthday. And its been months since I input my thought here for you to read 'when you grow up'. Hope you are not getting jealous comparing the total of post your sister get a few years back when she was still a toddler like you. Instead, you should feel lucky, why? Because although your sister gets more blog post from me, you are the one who made me fasten up my seat-belt in my career. See how much I wanted to bless the two of you financially, otherwise your daddy is a very simple person. A good camera with a couple of lens is enough to keep me happy.

 But as simple and contented as I am, we are living in one of the most expensive city in the world and so I do not wish my simplicity to become a burden to your future. I once read a quote that goes; "IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT IF YOU ARE BORN POOR, BUT IT IS YOUR FAULT IF YOUR CHILDREN ARE BORN POOR". You and your sister are a bunch of lucky generation who parents feel much more responsibility to take care of your future. All your medical coverage are taken care of. Some of the schools and lessons you attend at a young age such as Montessori, gymnastic, music and art are more sophisticated and doesn't come cheap at all. We also started a insurance policy for your university cost even before you master your ABCs. Sometime I will wonder, if I am doing too much for the both of you and eventually turn you into spoiled brat. But when I look around and see kiasu parents everywhere, signing up enrichment classes, bringing them to well known tuition center, raising not kids but elite, I cant help but I would rather do as much as I can and spoiled you a little bit and hope you can be confident, intellectual and comparable with the rest and be able to penetrate into the society without any disadvantage than to let you enter into our modern jungle slack.

 But we can only provide you so much with resources and education. There are other methods and skills such as characters and personalities you have to acquire yourself like courage, honesty, kindness, gracefulness and a passionate heart which is as important for you to become successful as mainstream education if not more. Nonetheless my son, you are 1 years old now. Happy Birthday and we are looking forward for another year of joy, fun and laughter with you.

No comments: